Wondering what to do with the gift cards or cash you got last week? Never fear, Magchunk is here!
Quickly after I started browsing the sales (and regular old good deals too), I realized that the lists will have to come in waves. There's just too much good stuff out there! Here is the home edition, for all you folks wanting to spruce up for 2009.
1. Horn pencil cup and letter opener (both $9.99 from Ballad Designs. Add some sass to your home office.
2. Set of 2 Roman busts ($29.99 for both!) from Ballad Designs. Would look great on an entry table, book shelf, mantle, sofa table...
3. The oft-coveted X Bench ($179 to $371 depending on fabric) from Ballad Designs. Pick one of their offered fabrics (I like the black and white stripe or just plain white) or send in your own! These look great at the foot of a bed or under a hall table in pairs. Or as a coffee table with a tray on top. Or use just one as extra seating in the living room or as a vanity bench. Can't go wrong.
4. French grain sack pillows ($52, in two shapes and several colors) from Ballad Designs. These have been all over Domino and Elle Decor... but usually with a much higher price for the real thing. If you don't mind a knockoff, these could fit the bill. Or mix a few of these with one or two of the real deal (via ebay) for a very Provencal window seat.
5. Bone and pearl inlaid mirror ($479) from Wisteria. For those of you with a fatter wallet. But this is a gorgeous piece that you'll have forever. And surprisingly it works with several design schemes.
6. Venetian glass mirror ($189) from Wisteria. A little cheaper than the inlaid one, but just as beautiful. Would work in the bath, bedroom, living room, entry, walk in closet...
7. Black Forest chair ($159.68) from Wisteria. A little more rustic than I usually go for, but not as cliche as wicker or bamboo chairs. Too make it very of-the-moment I'd toss a sheepskin on it, or a suzani pillow.
8. Wright desk ($399) from Pottery Barn. I've noticed that PB likes to start each season fresh, so many items are slashed down to next to nothing. If you've been wanting a modern looking desk, this one is fabulous. Why not pair it with an Eames inspired desk chair like this one? Or even with the Black Forest chair in #7?
9. Walker bedside table ($149) from Pottery Barn. I'd use this as a little mini-bar setup in my living room (put a tray table on top). The lid lifts for storing things like extra cocktail napkins or seasonal bottle stoppers, etc. Reminds me of Swiss Family Robinson for some reason...
10. Ikat pillow cover ($39.99 plus insert, $18.00) from Pottery Barn. If you've been waiting to hop on the Ikat band wagon because things have been so overpriced, you may like this piece for your bed or couch. Not the best version ever, but it works.
11. Graphic bolster cover ($29.99 plus insert, $24) from Pottery Barn. This is the pillow love-child of David Hicks and Kelly Wearstler. Would look fab on a bed and will be in style for a long time.
12. Faux fur throw ($99) from Pottery Barn. If you're going to go faux, you MUST have quality. I like the dark espresso color. Love it at the foot of the bed during these chilly months.
13. Linen Hemstitch Napkins (about $43 depending on color) from Pottery Barn. Add a monogram for an additional charge. I've been wanting some forever, but I can't decide between white or flax... Adds immediate sophistication to your table, or makes a nice personal gift for the hostess in your life.
14. Empire State Building bookends ($45.49) from Restoration Hardware. There are several monuments to choose from, but these were my favorite. Would look great flanking your travel books on a sofa table!
15. "The Way We Live in the City" book ($39.95) from CB2. Nice on a shelf or coffee table.
16. Round-back club chair ($299) from West Elm. A great price for this kind of piece. I've been in the market for a similar hued accent chair for a while for my living room, but it could also work in the bedroom or home office.
17. Table lamp (87.99) from West Elm. A little more than I like to pay for lamps (hence my dim apartment!), but it's on sale finally! This doesn't really blend well with my current look, but in the right space, this could be quite the show-stopper.
18. Ibiza wine glasses ($1.95 each) from CB2. These I'd put on a chrome and glass bar cart for a dab of color. Similar designs at full price (about $4 each) also available.
Hope you enjoyed the first wave of deals. Stay tuned for clothing and accessories!